What a dream of a maternity session! With a gorgeously glowing mama-to-be, her handsome partner, and the most perfect baby bump, it was the perfect recipe for the most beautiful photoshoot!
Maternity Session Tips
- Schedule your session for when you’re about 30 weeks pregnant. This is usually the best time. Your baby bump should be pronounced and beautiful to photograph, but you’re not feeling too heavy and uncomfortable.
- Don’t wear anything too tight before your session. You don’t want elastic, bra, or any strange mark imprints on your body.
- When choosing an outfit, stick with neutral colors. I normally recommend pastels because they photograph beautiful and soft. Flowy dresses are always a great choice! Don’t have one? No problem! You can rent on from Rent the Runway or Mama Bump Rentals. Avoid crazy patterns. Also, coordinate colors with your significant other. I never recommend doing the matchy-matchy thing (same exact colors) but complimentary colors look perfect in photos!
- Additionally, on the day-of, pamper yourself. You deserve it! Get a manicure, have your hair and makeup done, and even treat yourself to a good massage. Feeling beautiful and relaxed are key!
- Bring props! The most popular ones are sonograms, baby clothes and shoes, banners or chalkboards with the due date, letter blocks that spell out the baby’s name, and, of course, the family’s furbaby(ies). Need ideas? Check out Pinterest!
- Finally and most importantly, invest in an experienced photographer! Figure out the photography style that speaks most to you and find a quality photographer that’s right for you! iPhones are great (for traveling or casual photos) but with the quality, you can’t blow up an iPhone photo. A professional photographer will not only be able to capture amazing photos of you, but will help pose you, the props, your pets, and/or significant other. Trust me, don’t go through the planning and money (to rent a dress, buy props, pamper yourself) and not invest in a real photographer.
I met Andrea about two years ago at the gym. We were introduced by a mutual friend and hit it off right away. Now, this beautiful yoga-loving lady is now expecting her first child and I couldn’t be more thrilled for her! I cannot wait to meet her baby girl. In the meantime, let me just obsess over her maternity photos!!